- Local call number
- Media type
- Marston, Otis R.
- [Dock Marston letters to Harvey Butchart, 1956-57.]
- Original creation dates
- Northern Arizona University. Cline Library.
- Digital surrogates are the property of the repository. Reproduction requires permission.
- Collection name
- Butchart, John Harvey
- Content Summary
- Dock Marston's letters to Harvey Butchart discuss rescues in the Grand Canyon, Walt Disney's interest in making a movie about the canyon, various hikes he has scheduled for the canyon. Marston discussed historic hikes and exploration completed by the Kolb brothers and Georgie White. He thanks Butchart for sending him photographs and transparencies along with identification of the various locations. He discusses the history of the Canyon, including miners' cabins and asbestos mining.
- John Harvey Butchart was born, to missionary parents, in Hofei, China in 1907. He received his early education at an American school in Hofei. After the death of his father in 1916, the family returned to the United States. Butchart attend and graduated from Eureka College in 1929. He went on to earn his masters and doctorate in mathematics from the University of Illinois in 1929 and 1932. In 1945 he accepted a job in the Mathematics Department of Arizona State College (now NAU) from which he retired in 1976. during his tenure at NAU he became involved with the ASC Hiking Club and served as its sponsor for twelve years. During this time he hiked most of the main trails of the Grand Canyon. His explorations eventually branched out to abandoned, prehistoric and animal trails.
In his 40 some years of Canyon exploration, Butchart found 108 approaches to the Colorado River, climbed 83 summits within the canyon and scaled canyon walls at 164 different places. He carefully documented all of these explorations - both in correspondence with other hikers and in his trail logs. He has published Grand Canyon Treks I, II, and III. Dr. Butchart lived in Sun City, Arizona.
- Finding Aid
- Other Contributors
- Butchart, Harvey, 1907-
Natural history--Arizona--Grand Canyon
Human geography--Arizona--Grand Canyon Region--History
Land use--Arizona--Grand Canyon Region--History
Grand Canyon (Ariz.)
Colorado River (Colo.-Mexico)
Kolb, Emery Clifford, 1881-1976
Kolb, E. L. (Ellsworth Leonardson), b. 1876
Clark, Georgie White